Old December 15th 04, 11:58 PM
Tony Volk

I'm curious as to why they wouldn't be good in a tail chase given that there
wouldn't be any noticeable change in the RWR until the very end? Certainly,
they ought to have more energy/range than most other AAM. And for the
record, other than their weight/drag, why are they called Buffaloes? I've
heard that someone thought they looked like a Buffalo coming off the rail,
but either that person has never seen a buffalo, or the vision requirements
were SERIOUSLY relaxed for that individual.

While I've got a John (I can never remember which John flew the -14), how
did it perform a-a against the Eagle in BFM? I've heard some sources say
the Eagle is nigh-invincible in the high speed dogfight (even compared to
the Viper), while other sources (Tomcat drivers) tell me that a -14A is a
good match, while a -14B/D is just cruel to the Eagle driver. Any comments?
I know that this is an awful newbie question, and I know that air under the
ass counts for most, but I'm curious to get a general opinion about how
close they are (actually, how close are all the teen series?). Cheers,

Tony

650??? I've had F-8's, F-4's and F-14's all faster. The Turkey is a
legitimate 800 knot airplane down low. As to 1.2-1.4 supersonic

endurance,
the Turkey hands down. OTOH, Buffaloes are never a good weapon for

fighter
vs fighter, even in a tail chase.

R / John