Old January 20th 04, 02:57 AM
Eugene Griessel

John Lansford wrote in message . ..
Jim Herring wrote:

They're results were that a frozen chicken did no more damage than a
room temperature chicken. They assumed a lot about impact damage with
faulty data and testing.

They should let me hit them with a frozen chicken and a thawed one and
tell me which one hurt more.

If you hit them at about 100 m/s I doubt they will be around to tell
you which
one hurt more. Dive into your swimming pool from the edge and then try
hitting it at 400 mph and see if you feel a difference. Tis the
velocity not the softness of the substance that hurts!

As someone else pointed out, the frozen
one is going to act like a solid mass, while the thawed one is going
to "explode" and deform when hitting the windshield.

At the speed of a modern fighter I doubt either case is going to leave
one unscarred. I read somewhere that even if the plexiglass holds out
the "wave" travelling through the canopy caused by the strike could
seriously injure/incapacitate a pilot.