Old April 1st 05, 07:12 PM
ShawnD2112

Great photos.

I was surprised by several things:
1. F-18s in the boneyard. Hadn't thought of them as that old or obsolete.
2. B-1s there. I thought they were all still flying. We only built 100 of
them, correct? 97 were still flying last time I touched the issue.
3. How many F-4s were still there, why things as old as an F-105 and B-57
would still be there
4. The SR-71 drone isn't in a museum
5. Why that much stuff is stored and not scrapped. Is there really any
expectation that most of that stuff will ever be wanted for anything (F-4s
as target drones not withstanding)

Must be a pretty soul-destroying place to work. What would get you out of
bed in the morning knowing you were just putting stuff into storage that
will most likely never come out again?

Does stuff ever leave the boneyard? If so, for what purpose and how much?

Shawn
"Mathew Cormie" mUnderscorecormie@hot-hot-hotmailcom wrote in message
. 3.44...
wrote in news:1112123059.301019.321900
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I put some of my pics on Davis Monthan at
http://greenmarble.blogspot.com feel free to leave a comment if you
would like Rich

Neat pictures.

Does anyone know why the C-141s in these pics were chopped up with the
guillotine? I recall an article in Air & Space several years ago that had
pictures of B-52s that had been cut up to comply with START rules (IIRC,
they had to be permanently and obviously disabled and left outside so
that they could be observed by Russian satellites). Would the same or
similar rules apply to the 141s or is it for something more mundane like
for ease of transport to the scrap metal dealer?

Matt