Old July 5th 05, 09:58 AM
Ian Johnston

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:12:32 UTC, Don Johnstone
wrote:

Sorry Ian, a winch driver should be able to get it
right first time. I am very disappointed if I do not
get it right on the first launch.

Well, I'd hope too, but it depends on the site. Most of my winching
has been on a hill top site where I can't see the glider until it's
about 100' up (humped field) and where the upper winds are very
unpredictable.

There is a signal that the pilot can use to indicate
overspeed. If the reaction to this signal is not an
immediate reduction in speed then I agree the launch
should be terminated.

Nit picking time. The signal is for "too fast" as in "faster than I
want". There is only one signal for overspeed, and it involves the Big
Yellow Knob...

Weak links help protect against local structural damage, but even with
an unbroken weak link there's a lot of additional loading. The weak
link may be twice the AUW of the glider so in the final stages of the
launch the loading on the wings can get to over three times the
unaccelerated flying load. Structurally, this is much more than 3G,
because the additional loading is being applied only to the
non-lifting parts.

Ian

PS Character tests for winch drivers number 1: refusing to launch an
ASH25 on a black link, as the pilots invariably demand, and insisting
on a brown one, as it should be...