Old June 3rd 04, 09:02 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:20:49 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

The VOR or GPS-1 into Sky Park, NY (46N)
http://www.myairplane.com/databases/...s/05462VG1.PDF has a
note saying "Final approach from Saggi Int holding pattern not
authorized. Procedure turn required". What doesn't make sense about
this is that SAGGI is an IAF, and you're allowed to use a holding
pattern as a PT. So, what's the note all about?

It's also not clear why the PT and missed hold are charted on opposite
sides of the approach course. Let's say you flew the approach, missed,
and entered the hold at SAGGI. The weather got a bit better and you
were cleared for another approach. The maneuvering you've had to do is
absurd. The logical thing would be to just continue in the hold until
you were inbound to SAGGI and continue from there. But, no, you've got
to turn around again, intercept the approach course outbound, do a PT,
re-intercept inbound, and then proceed. What's the point?

This seems like the kind of approach I need to bring a student to, just
to see how they handle it.

Wild guess mode:

It's clear that the charted holding pattern is for the missed approach (and
not the initial approach). So perhaps there are different required
protected zones for a PT or Hold-in-lieu pattern, and the east side of the
FAC doesn't meet those criteria. Or maybe it has to do with the 5 NM
restriction on doing the PT.

I don't think you would necessarily have to go back to SAGGI either,
depending on where you were in the hold. If I had just started outbound,
and was abeam SAGGI, I'd probably turn right to a 'track' of 235, cross the
FAC and fly for a minute (depending on winds), and then turn left to
reintercept the FAC inbound, descending to 1800' when established on the
FAC.