Old April 13th 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

Default Max Tow Weight and Rope Strength

On Apr 13, 8:01*am, wrote:

The basis of this specification, if I recall correctly, was force on
the release handle.
Rope strength is specified with limits related to the max certified
gross weight of the glider being towed, that is NTL .80 of gross wt
and NGT than 2.0 times gross wt. Weak links can be used, as
appropriate to saty within these limits.
If the approved installation of the tow hook has other limits, they
are in addition to those related to the glider defined limits.
If you are using a hook not produced for towing gliders(there are lots
of home made banner towing hooks made to AC 43-13 which may not be
suitable for glider towing), consider moving to a proven tow hook
installation.
Good Luck
UH

So in your example, a Schweizer hook is limited to 1200 lbs and it
would be acceptable to tow a 1500 lb glider as long as the rope (or
weak link setup) was rated at 1200 lbs? Unfortunately, the wording on
the placard doesn't refer to rope strength limits, but to maximum
glider weight. If it referred to rope strength, I could see it being
legal to tow a 1500 lb. glider by using a 1200 lb setup but because it
specifies a max gross weight for the glider/banner, wouldn't anything
heavier exceed the legal limit?