Old February 16th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default I lost my medical, what do I do?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:15:13 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .

As do many over-the-counter meds. You take them for a while to see if
there is any adverse side effects and if none, you fly.

Quite some time back I took an antibiotic which killed all the good
critters as well as the bad. I didn't fly, of course part of that was
because I didn't dare get more than about a 100 feet from the can for
a while.

Many people have some reaction to specific foods and probably most
haven't even made the connection. I don't know the numbers, but my
understanding is, it's quite a large number. Just because a bunch
of people have a reaction to ... say tomatoes, they are not a banned
substance and if you have an allergy or reaction to them you report
it, and stay away from tomatoes.

I agree with Ron, if the person has no adverse effects from the drugs
and does not have physiological problems then why ban them when the
purpose for the prescription is not a problem.

There is a wide difference from the effects of a food allergy and that of a
psychoactive drug. The psychoactive drug effect can be very slow onset and

I used food as an analogy, but in some cases the effects of particular
foods can take a prolonged period to develop. Some effects are
aggression and depression, yet like with many drugs there is only a
casual link shown from a few studies.

It takes a lot of controlled studies of sufficient size to show a true
link, not the *reported* few instances of adverse effects. You find
in many cases the reported instances are no more than what was
reported from a placebo. Still, those reported effects have to be on
the label.

Among the foods listed were milk, sugar and drinks containing
caffeine..
Of course they have different effects on different people. Sugar just
makes some of us fat while it puts others into orbit. High milk
intake over a prolonged period was allegedly linked to aggression in
a couple of studies back in the 80's or early 90's. How valid were
these studies? I have no idea, however for a drug that probably would
have been enough to put it on the banned list.

The thing with allergies is they can pop up all of a sudden. Some
kids outgrow allergies, yet what ever the substance you have used, or
eaten it last week with no problem and have a severe reaction today.

not outwardly visible. Add to that the fact the effect may be that you want
to kill yourself or someone else I think the FAA has a pretty good set of
rules in effect on this one.

There are quite a few people who fall into that category with out
taking the drugs.

They really need to look at the individual and how long they have
taken the drug and if there are any side effects. If the underlying
condition is disqualifying then it matters little what they are
taking.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com