Old October 2nd 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

Default New SOLO pilot looking for suitable glider

On 02/10/2012 11:05, ukpilot wrote:

Thank you all for the quick reply's

I will keep a look out for a share in a glider. But finding a good or
ideal glider at a club local to me seems like trying find needle in a
hay stack.
I thought the Ls-8 would have needed a more experienced pilot. I will
put that on my list of gliders to look out for.

I also like the idea of a sustainer... I know a good pilot shouldn't
need one! But with a budget of 20-30k am i seriously going be able to
find a good 2ct or LS-8 t for this budget.

In the UK you will not get any varient of a Discus 2 or LS8 for £20-30K
to own by yourself, with or without a turbo. As a syndicate member you
will struggle for a half share of a 2ct or and LS-8t, may find a share
without an turbo.

You did mention you had flown the LS4 - I have seen the description from
others who have flown the LS4 and LS8 that the LS8 behaves the same as
an LS4 but can do it all 10knts faster.

A lot of fun can be had in an LS4 which you would get for your budget.
You can also compete in the club class which you cannot in a 2c or LS8.

For interest we bought our LS4 in Austria and imported it to the UK. Not
too much hassle and buying from the continent gives you a much bigger
market to search from. See the segelflug.de classified links I posted
previously.

have fun looking.

--

Nick Hill