Old October 21st 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Whats in YOUR toolbox?

Travis Beach wrote:
Just got my first sailplane...what kind of tools do
you carry everytime you go to the airfield to fly?
Whats in your toolbox?

Beach

Keep your eyes open for a sale at Sears (assuming you are in the US;
otherwise, local equivalent tool store) . About once a year they have
a tremendous clearance on Craftsman "Mechanics" tool kits. You can
the 100-odd piece set that comes in a molded plastic case. Mine has a
permanent mounting slot I built under the tow vehicle seat. It
contains:

- Metric sockets approx M4-M14
- SAE sockets in all the usual sizes
- Metric and SAE allen wrenches
- 12 common driver bits (slotted, phillips, torx, square) and
associated driver.
- Lineman, slip joint, and needle nose pliers.
- Wire cutter.
- Ball peen hammer (great for coaxing out an axle)

I augment this with a small electrical toolbox containing fuses, wire,
assorted spade and butt-joint connectors, spare battery connectors,
soldering iron and solder, heat shrink tubing, ties, mulit-meter etc.

Total size of the above is maybe a footprint of 18"x12".

While you're in Sears at the sale, you can then pick up the drill
press, cutoff saw, 2 in 1 sheet metal brake and shear and other
necessary items.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 P3