Old February 14th 18, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Minimum number of flights for winch sign off?

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:24:52 -0800, son_of_flubber wrote:

The Eden site is interesting, but I did not post anything about it.

Yep, I know you didn't - and nor has anybody else recently. I've visited
it a couple of times and posted the vid link because its a different
place to fly and a reasonably challenging winch site for me too: on my
last visit I got the mandatory site check ride and a winch failure
despite having been there before, because that was three years previously.

I fly in flat east England, usually winching off a 1300m x 175m grass
runway. We have GR400 Robins as tow planes but I prefer winching.

I hear that there is winch launching site on the North Island in New
Zealand that routinely does 2000+ winch launches that drop you into
rotor. You use the rotor to climb into wave. I'd want to ease into
that with a local CFI before soloing.

Yes, I know where that is, but haven't flown from it. I visited that club
in 2003, before they left Paraparaumu, a multiple use airfield surrounded
by houses and aero-tow only. That was where I flew a PW-5 (my only flight
in one) and had my first flight in a Libelle.