Old February 13th 19, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Why does OLC display wrong altitudes?

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:37:31 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Moshe, I am not sure if correcting the start always fixes the issue, although it did for me in few cases, not sure exactly how.
Regardless, one would always check that OLC identified the release correctly and adjust if needed, otherwise this may significantly impact your score.

Ramy

IIRC you can adjust the selection of the point in time (not the altitude) at which it starts counting the flying as soaring, i.e., off-tow. Usually it does that automatically but sometimes it gets that wrong. E.g., if you release in strong wave lift and just keep on climbing without circling.

But how can that affect the OLC assumptions about your true altitude vs. the recorded altitude? If it makes assumptions about that, it must be based on the earliest "fix", which it assumes is before the start of the launch?