Old February 14th 19, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OLC max altitude self censorship

I had my altimeter checked and calibrated about a year ago, so I am very confident in its accuracy, as opposed to the GPS altitude. However, without a transponder, is there any record anywhere to prove that I have NOT busted airspace floors or ceilings?

Interesting and useful info from kinsell and Roy.Â* Thanks.

Good thought about having a transponder, if your glider has one, as a documented backup on your altitude compliance.Â* I looked up the "Flight Track Log" on FlightAware for one of my flights where I purposely limited my climb to about 17'K.Â* It showed that various ADS-B receivers pinged my ADS-B Out every 20 to 30 seconds throughout the flight, showing, among other things, my pressure altitudes.Â* Sure enough, several pings showed me topping out at 17,025'.Â* At the same time, the flywith CE log showed my max GPS altitude at 18,054'. So I could have climbed almost a thousand feet higher.

As an aside, if you have a transponder but no ADS-B Out, FlightAware would likely show you being pinged by various ATC radars (assuming you were under coverage) but at a slower ping rate, like once every minute.Â* Still useful in documenting your baro altitudes.