Old September 22nd 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default Cobra Trailer Spare Tire mount failure

On Sep 21, 6:53*pm, Barny wrote:
Cobra should extend the top steel tube another 20mm in both directions
to capture the bolt with holes. Then tack weld the bolt heads for anti
rotation. The wheel has plenty of clearance for a longer cross-tube.
You still need the third leg to prevent bolt fatigue failure from the
constant rocking.

I'm reading all of this with interest. My new plane (ASW-19) lives in
a Cobra trailer (older -- it has ASW-24 stickers on it). The previous
owner
found that the fuselage is too long to fit very well, and ended up
rotating that
upright column 180 degrees to get things to fit. However, the spare
tire
mount bolts now point back toward the plane so the spare can't be
mounted (the box doesn't fit either but that's another story). For
the moment
the spare is riding in the under-trailer storage box behind the main
axle,
but that causes cg problems for the trailer (tongue weight is like a
feather).

I'm looking for ideas how to mount the spare up front now. The under
nose
option above sounds promising -- how do you anchor down the tire? I'm
also
thinking of using some angle iron so that the tire can hang on the
front of the
column, but it will be more vertical. Will it fit?

Thanks,
-- Matt