Old December 12th 03, 06:02 PM
Larry Smith

"Boelkowj" wrote in message
One of these days I will need to do a "top end" and wondering if higher
compression cylinders would be a way to go. That way I would feel more
comfortable using 100LL since my source of 80 octane is no longer

available
here. Would I also expect a little more horse power? Thanks

Larry

The later casting cylinders are better for higher compression. You may
recall that timing was retarded to 24 degrees on older cylinders. You can
check up on all that with part numbers and the manual.

Compression may be raised by using C-85 pistons and the better casting stock
cylinders. Other mods, like a hotter cam, may also be done to improve
performance, but of course your engine can no longer be certified or keep
its data plate if modified.

Don't turn your engine over 2750 rpm.

Don't use 100LL in an O-200 without an additive to leach out the lead.

Talk to the guys who modify their engines for racing at Reno.

See this service bulletin from TCM:
http://www.sacskyranch.com/tcmtime.pdf