Old May 19th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Odd missed approach instructions

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:49:00 +0000 (UTC), (Paul
Tomblin) wrote:

The published missed for the RNAV (GPS) RWY 04 at KROC says "Climb to 3000
direct CISON WP and via 098(degree) track to BREIT WP and hold". I'm
trying to think why they'd put in that "098 track" thing instead of just
saying "direct BRIET WP". The plan view makes it look like after crossing
CISON you'd have to fly about 135 degrees to intercept the 098 track
somewhere before BRIET. Are they trying to keep you clear of that 1030'
obstacle just north west of BREIT? I was reading it as if you had to be
at 3000' before you got to CISON, but I suppose you could read it that
you're still on your way up to 3000' on the way between CISON and BREIT?

I agree that it is unusual, and I'm not certain of the appropriate wording
in this circumstance. However, the NACO chart calls for flying the 098°
track, whereas the JEPP chart call for flying a 118° track! Something is
really screwed up here.

Also, I believe you have misinterpreted a portion of the missed approach
procedure. Probably especially important in view of that tower NW of
CISON:

You write, "... after crossing CISON ...".

But CISON is depicted, on both the Jepp and the NACO charts, as a fly-by WP
and not as a fly-over WP. "Fly-by waypoints are used when an aircraft
should begin a turn to the next course prior to reaching the waypoint". So
you should not be "crossing CISON".