Old September 13th 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Default Blanik L-33 Solo

I flew an L-33 a bunch of times a few years ago, until it got badly
bent in a field of beans. I enjoyed every flight. Handling was nice;
simple and easy, controls seemed light and balanced. I liked that the
max weight on ours was on the order of 280 lbs -- I was 255 lbs at the
time and had obvious W&B issues with other ships in the club fleet.
The cockpit was roomy and comfortable (I'm 6'2" and wide across the
shoulders) and visibility was pretty good. Spoilers were quite
effective. It was quick and easy to assemble and ground handling was
easy.

On the downside:
- opening the spoilers caused a pitch-up and increased the stall speed
- weak tail boom, so it needs to be landed gently or your bend it.

As for the name, my understanding (sad to say, I've been wrong before)
is that it's a LET aircraft, same as the Blaniks, but "Solo" is to
indicate that it's a single-seat ship.