Old September 10th 19, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder

Default L-23 Loose Horizontal Stabilizer

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:47:25 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-4, Chris Snyder wrote:
We just noticed some play on our club L-23. It was detected in the stick while on tow with a forward CG. Does anyone have experience with a horizontal stab being loose on an L-23? The elevator auto-hookups have large pins, but it seems like there's no way to really tighten anything:

https://www.screencast.com/t/iiOd0TSi8zpX

Our L-23 would not go together with the pins looking like that. With everything shiny clean and well greased, it is a real chore to wiggle the elevator drive home. There is no play, anywhere, and certainly none that could be noticed from the cockpit.

I think I'd go have a very close look at that elevator and how assembled.....

best,
Evan Ludeman

That was a "stock photo" I found from an assembly manual, but good to know.