Old July 24th 12, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Default PW-5 PW-6 'stiff' rudder pedals

Most modern gliders have rudder cables sleeves that are not 100% straight.

That way, impulse tension from the rudder causes friction, so it tends
to self damp flutter.

Too much static tension in the circuit will cause cables to slowly cut
their way out of the sleeve. Not a good idea.

You should feel slight friction, no more, from the pedal end.
Sharp movement of the rudder should result in a pulse of
friction/resistance. Slow movement of the rudder should be smooth/free...

Bruce

On 2012/07/24 5:59 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, July 23, 2012 2:22:38 PM UTC-4, Chris Gough wrote:
Can you feel any undue resistance or friction when you move the
rudder from side to side by hand?

Not tried that yet. The owner of the PW6 gave me a ride because I'm thinking about getting a PW5.

Also - have you had a good check for
loose articles in the front rudder pedal assembly and under the seats?

The owner is under the impression that this is normal for the type. He attributes it to a strong spring in the rudder mechanism. Perhaps the spring that centers the rudder?

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771