Old July 26th 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill (G8)

Default PW-5 PW-6 'stiff' rudder pedals

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:39:15 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
Coming from SGS and Blanik glider experience, the rudder pedals in a PW-6 seem "stiff" to me.

1.Are the rudder pedals in a PW-5 likewise stiff?

2.Is the stiffness a design shortcoming or a feature? Does the stiffness have any purpose? Do some people prefer this feel?

PW-5 pedals are stiff because of the ridiculously strong return springs on the rudder pedals. They are far to strong for flutter protection and we used to replace them with weaker springs which didn't give us any problems with flutter and made pedal movement acceptable.