Old October 23rd 17, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tow hook for 182

On Thursday, 19 October 2017 18:25:26 UTC+13, Ramy wrote:
Our club is looking for a tow hook for 182, in particular Schweizer (partnumber 0500228-2) which is the STC'd approved hook for the Cessna 182. Any pointers are welcome.

Thanks

Ramy

We're in the process of certifying (in New Zealand) a tubular mount with attached Tost E85 tow hook for a C182. The design is derived from AC43.13-2B, Figure 8-12, and is manufactured from 1" 4130 tube. You'd need to obtain a field approval, however we've done all the hard work (design calculations and manufacturing drawings). This might give you a head start if you're interested in a Tost installation.

There is also a Canadian Serial STC that was prepared for their Air Patrol, that uses an alloy box section to mount the Tost hook. If that provides a better option, ask for contact details.

The Schweizer/Cessna tow hook is subject to an AD (DCA/ROLE/2) in New Zealand, and must be placarded "Glider towing prohibited". Background information is lost in antiquity, although there is text stating "Due to possible strength inadequacy and incompatability with glider tow rope attachment rings....".

David