Old November 5th 20, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Dakota Lithium Batteries in Gliders?

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 10:34:34 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 11/5/2020 7:12 AM:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 2:18:00 PM UTC-5, Christopher Gough wrote:
Anybody tried the Dakota lithium batteries in their gliders? Looks like a good price point.

https://dakotalithium.com/our-batteries/

I've bought several of these and they seem OK:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22409204034...m=224092040348
- really good price if you buy 4+ - cheaper than SLAs by far, assuming they last longer. I can confirm that these have a full BMS inside, as I've opened one up.

I've read that *ALL* LiFePO4 batteries are made in China at present.

Battle Born says they make their batteries in the USA, but don't specifically state the cells
are made in the USA. Even so, it means production is not entirely in China. It's not obvious to
methat is a better way to choose a battery.

I meant the cell production. I am not saying the Chinese-made cells are bad, they seem to be fine. Just that since they all come from China, there is no clear reason to prefer one brand over another, especially in terms of where they are "assembled". The BMS modules are probably also from China. There may be more variation in BMS function and reliability than the cells?