Old November 1st 03, 11:25 PM
Larry

Default INS Alignment at Sea

How is the INS aligned at sea on a carrier that is moving at 30kts?
Actually it was quite a challenge.

I was AEAN Flight Deck Troubleshooter assigned to VAW-116, launching the
E-2C Hawkeye off the pointy end of the USS Constellation during the WestPac
of 80-81 when we had to do a "handset align" of INS. We all stood around in
a semi-circle (to keep dumb****s from walking thru the turning props) and
when given the signal, I'd go into the island, call SINS and get our PP
(present position). Then I'd go up into the cockpit where they already had a
"rough align" and tell INS where we were. Of course we were just doing
doughnuts out in the middle of the IO. This was called a "handset align" and
was very common when SINS would not transmit via the cable and when an RF
Align was not possible (like during EMCON).

I've been in the cockpit of the Hawkeye (parked abreast the island) and seen
the ground speed display 42 knots- we were HAULING! When they lit up all the
boilers all four screws would really kick up a rooster tail.

I had a ball on the two WestPac's I did aboard the Connie- that was a great
ship with an even better crew :-)

--
Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

"Gary Watson" cf104@ihate spam.shaw.ca wrote in message
I am conversant with commercial INS and old military INS (LN3) and know

that
the best alignment occurs when the a/c is stationary. Now my question.
How is the INS aligned at sea on a carrier that is moving at 30kts? Does

the
ground crew start an alignment below decks prior to bringing the a/c up

for
a launch? Also does the Captain have to realign heading on the catapult to
ensure proper heading reference or is there a slaved compass system in

naval
military fighters?

Gary Watson