Old May 12th 04, 04:51 AM
Scott G.

"Newps" wrote in message

"Scott G." wrote in message

I am sure they have an STC for the gauge and in the STC quite a few of

the
typical general aviation aircraft are included. It does not specifiy in

the
STC whether or not it can be used as a replacement gauge though. Some

of
the EI gauges such as Oil Press/Temp can be used as replacement gauges,

and
others such as the 4/6 cylinder engine analyzers cannot. I wish the
manufacturers would be a little more clear in their STC's. The STC for

the
Insight analyzer it specifically states it is for additional information
only and cannot replace a primary instrument. In the EI STCs they

really
don't say either way, but a call to EI cleared that up.

EI will send you a copy of a 337 to get their fuel gauge approved as a
primary replacement. You use all the rest of the Cessna stuff and wire it
to their gauge. The Cessna Pilots Assoc website has lots of Cessna single
owners who have recently made the change. Mac Speed at EI is the guy you
want.

We tried that originally actually. We installed the EI gauge and went
through the calibration process (empty fuel tanks, fill 5 gal, take reading,
repeat for both sides) needless to say, took a while. EI had three
previously approved 337s on their website. We submitted the 337 and the
previously approved ones in a hope it would help the process along. Of
course it came back. The FSDO stated they were no longer able to do this
field approval and said we would have to go through engineering to get it
done. In the mean time Aerospace Logic was able to obtain a STC for their
fuel gauge. EI said they were working on a STC but it wasn't a priority and
couldn't predict when it would be obtained. We have a quite a few EI gauges
and they have been a great company to work with. From needing wiring
harnesses (Pawnee has a huge nose) to needing instruments remarked, they are
quick and very reasonable.

Thanks for the ideas,
Scott G