Old November 8th 04, 02:58 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 11/7/04 11:50 AM, in article
, "Ramapriya"
wrote:

1. If the principles of flight are universally applicable, why is it
that birds don't stall or spin? I wonder especially because I'm sure
I've seen some gulls hover in mid-air doing pretty much nothing except
having their wings spread!

They do. Often, that's how they land; by stalling just above their intended
touchdown point. Airspeed has nothing to do with groundspeed. If the wind is
blowing over their wings fast enough to provide lift, they fly. Why should
it matter that they fly at a speed that keeps them over the same spot of
land or not?

2. We know it's possible for an aircraft to fly at angle to the
direction in which it's pointing. Does anyone know why does such a
thing not happen in boats or ships? After all, both ships and
aircrafts use media to float on... any sailors here could answer that,
I guess

Ramapriya

Again, it does happen. There are more influences on a boat's direction of
travel than just the propulsion of the motor, like wind and the current.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic