Old June 4th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Glitch disables 10,000 military GPS receivers

On Jun 4, 11:40*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
a writes:
It would be useful to look at the entire event, underlying causes, and
program developments before making these judgments.

It's unlikely that the military will release the details.

You may not know there are two distinct, and soon to be three distinct,
positioning systems in place.

I know that, but only one of them works decently and is likely to continue
doing so, and that's the American system.

Which of the two independent operating US GP Systems has your
approval, and how do you compare them with the upcoming one? I think
it was the DOD one, with precisions measured in centimeters, that was
compromised, not the one authorized during the Regan era -- his
decision, based on improving precision for long distance flights, was
made to make less likely the shoot downs of airliners as happened off
the Russian coast during his term, and that gave rise to the GPS
driven world you simulate. But you knew that, I am sure.