Old January 6th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Book recommendations on weather please

On Jan 2, 3:42*pm, smithcorp wrote:
G'day

I'm a student glider pilot, just post-solo, looking for a good book on
meteorology for gliding that my wife can give me for my birthday.
Since Wallington's Meteorology for Glider Pilots is out of print and
available copies are prohibitively expensive, I'd appreciate
recommendations for other books that could help me learn about weather
for soaring.

A bit of googling turned up two books that may be available here in
Australia, including Bradbury's Meteorology and Flight and Piggott's
Understanding Flying Weather. Which of these would be best for a
student, or can you recommend others please?

thanks in advance

If you want to learn about the mountain wave read Exploring the
Monster by Bob Whalen. It's an historical account of the Sierra Wave
Project but reads like a thrilling novel (at least to those of us
fascinated by wave flying) I consider it a must read for anyone
interested in weather and soaring.

MM