Old March 9th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

Default Komet trailer painting

I painted my Eberle last year. You can see the results on the Yahoo
Standard Cirrus Group website under the photo album labeled "209
Project". I am accustomed to painting airplanes but did not want to
spend $400 on paint for the trailer. I went to the local paint shop
and got a gallon of fiberglass primer (used on fiberglass porch
columns). I then used a single stage polyurethane that they sold.
Amazingly it does not require an activator. All in I had less than
$75 in the paint and primer. I shot it with a gravity feed gun. How
did it go? The single stage urethane does not have a "car" shine. It
is more like an eggshell finish. Also, I primed in the morning and
top coated in the afternoon. Two places where I primed heavily crazed
when the top coat was applied. This was caused by the solvents in the
top coat softening the primer underneath and leaving a "crinkle coat"
appearance. I am my harshest critic. Everyone at the field thought I
had purchased a newer trailer. Also, I had the local sign shop cut
some graphics of the Cirrus which I applied to the sides.