Old July 15th 09, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tommytoyz[_2_]

Default SAFE Winch Launching

"That pretty much means either finding a rebuildable Gehrlein,
importing an inexpensive used winch from Europe, or homebrewing a new
winch (based on the UK spec). I prefer the latter, as I think there is
still plenty of room for optimization, both in fabrication and
operation. While I respect those who are trying to push the envelope
with advance power systems and launch automation, a simple single drum
winch based on automotive components will be good enough for our local
group get started. "

I agree, however, I suggest a retrieve winch set up if you guys are
going for a single drum as otherwise, launch rate will be too slow.
Last year I flew from a 6 drum winch and it was aircraft carrier
style. From reading, I gather that with a single drum winch with a
retrieve winch set up can achieve a rate of 20 launches an hour. How
many tow planes would it take to achieve 20 launches/hour to 2,000
feet per launch? My guess is two tow plane. With only 1 tow plane that
many launches would take 2 hours - much more if they stray far from
the airport. The economics of winching are staggering compared to
aerotows - and above all - much more fun. This includes hunting for
that first lift at low altitude AGL. Even with multiple relights, it's
still cheaper and more fun.
Tom