Old February 2nd 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Short Wings Gliders

On Feb 2, 7:00*am, Jim Beckman wrote:
At 15:27 01 February 2009, Papa3 wrote:

So, I do believe a lot of it comes back to land. * Specifically, the
fact that land use policy (or lack thereof) in the US means that a
flat piece of land within say 90 minutes drive of most major
metropolitan areas is going to run into the several $milions. * *For
instance, a 30 acre property in a place equidistant from say NYC and
Philadelphia would set you back about $1M minimum...

Do you happen to know how taxes affect US clubs that own their own fields?
*I suppose it varies from state to state, but some of these clubs have
pretty valuable pieces of land. *Being set up as a non-profit organization
might help some, but I don't know if it would exempt the group from
taxes.

On the other hand, the way to save money is to be a church. *Any club that
could set itself up as a religion would have it made. *Maybe the Reverend
Charlie Spratt (or should I say Father Charlie?) would be interested in
consecrating a few bishops around the country to establish branches of the
Church of the Rising Air. *Yeah, that's the way to go. *It worked great
for L. Ron Hubbard.

Jim Beckman (Rev.-to-be)

18-20 US SSA chapters are 501c(3) charitable, tax exempt, non-profit
organizations and I believe one large club is currently in the process
of seeking the determination. There are additional foundations acting
as pass through agents and a couple that own the gliderports and lease
to clubs. At least on other medium sized club is exploring the
topic. In an overview of a couple that own their gliderports, they
are about $30,000/year better off as a result through real and sales
tax exemptions and charitable donations. You are correct that not all
localities or states allow full real property tax exemptions, but many
have non-profit rate schedules.

The topic requires some education. The SSA Clubs and Chapters
Committee is willing to offer insight, guidance, and possibly
assistance, but the effort and benefit belong to the club and
hopefully to the growth of soaring.

Frank Whiteley