Old September 22nd 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

Default What's gonna happen to CAP?

Actually Bob, there is a state by state agreement between USAF AFRCC and the
State governments. This spells out which organization will be contacted. I
spent a week in the hole back when AFRCC was at Scott AFB. My most vivid
memory was the mission where we were trying to find a helo that could hover
out of ground effect at 13,000 feet and still be within range of our target
location to make a hoist pickup. We worked for a couple of hours on that one
until we found one.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"R. Gardner" wrote in message
.. .
UM! Who is we? USAF is the ones who intiate an AC search, never heard
they call anyone but CAP.

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Neil Gould wrote:

I was in CAP as a teenager, due to my interests in aviation and lack of
money to pursue it other ways. Although there was too much marching to
suit me, I agree that it is a worthy organization with an important
mission.

The question at hand is whether the new transponders will really reduce
the need for S&R?

Here in Montana we've reduced the need for CAP to zero. We handle SAR
ourselves.