Old September 24th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default What's gonna happen to CAP?

On Sep 19, 8:15 am, Jay Honeck wrote:
My son and I were active in Civil Air Patrol a couple of years ago.
The primary training mission was Search and Rescue, utilizing radio
direction finders that allowed us to find transponders that were going
off.

With the impending transition to 406 mhz transponders that will give
far more accurate location information upon activation, we will no
longer need fatigue-clad cadets trudging through the woods on SAR
missions.

CAP is a good organization for kids, basically "Boy Scouts With a
Mission". Given that Search and Rescue is their primary mission, I
wonder what's gonna happen to CAP?

Also, its interesting to note that CAP has been doing a fair amount of
406 hunting. It seems that thought these new units provide better data
than the 121.5 they still need to be found. I just got an email a
moment ago concerning a request from the USGC in helping locate a 406
unit that was going off in their area. All CAP aircraft and ground
teams have 406 locating equipment on board.

-Robert