Old January 14th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Default UAV's and TFR's along the Mexico boarder

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:56:08 GMT, "Wendy" wrote in
. net::

So how does it work with the Global Hawk UAV which was granted a national
certificate of authorization by the FAA in 2003 to fly on an IFR flight
plan
in unrestricted airspace in the US?

I presume you are referring to this/:
http://www.apfn.net/Messageboard/8-1...on.cgi.33.html

San Diego - Aug 18, 2003
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has granted a national
Certificate of Authorization (COA) to the U.S. Air Force to
routinely fly the Northrop Grumman-produced RQ-4 Global Hawk
aerial reconnaissance system in national airspace. The certificate
is the first national COA granted for an unmanned air vehicle
(UAV) system.

The high altitude, long endurance Global Hawk currently flies in
restricted airspace during take-off and landing before quickly
ascending to altitudes high above commercial air traffic. ...

Above 18,000' MSL _all_ aircraft are separated by ATC. As you'll
note, the UAV climbs and descends in Restricted airspace. We wouldn't
want to endanger civil Part 91 flights operating below Positive
Control Airspace with a blind UAV.

So why don't we just put the UAVs on the boarder above 18,000 ft?