Old September 15th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Future Club Training Gliders

On Sep 15, 1:18*pm, JS wrote:
Good points by all.
* There is nothing that speaks or even whispers "future" (see the
subject line) about a 2-33, so I think it's only mentioned due to
economy. As Bill suggests, it's an antiquated plan and does not take
into consideration young pilot mentality as Noel explained. We need to
listen to more "junior" pilots, and not just assume they're
inexperienced etc.
* Contrasting, but certainly not a primary trainer... The Arcus
screams "FUTURE".
* My club trains using aero tow (1x) and winch (2x) launching in a
Puchatek, then solo in the Puchatek. Solo in Junior. Dual in G103,
solo in it. Then possibly solo in Jantar Standard or dual in Twin
Astir. Other ships to move up to are LS-7, LS-6, and Duo XT. All kept
in hangars, with tail tow equipment and instruments like you'd expect.
Not a one without a radio, audio vario or FLARM (there's a FLARM in
the Callair too). Everything but the Junior has a flight computer /
GPS data logger.
* Like owning a house, aircraft ownership requires more than routine
maintenance. If you don't make upgrades periodically, your home or
fleet may look OK to you but will look outdated to others.
* I have e-mailed Scheibe Aircraft (still producing the Motorfalke) to
see if there is any truth to the rumor that they will reintroduce the
SF-34. I know of only one in the USA, at Moriarty, NM. Believe it used
to be in Greensboro, NC or was that another one? But it will likely
cost as much as an AS-K21.
* In Australia, the bulk of glider pilots are referred to as "OFITTH",
meaning "Old Farts In Terry Towel Hats". We all need to stop thinking
like an OFITTH.
Jim

How do you like the Puchatek? OBTW, that's the Krosno KR-03a AKA
Peregrine I mentioned previously.

Frank