Old September 15th 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

Default Future Club Training Gliders

On Sep 15, 12:58*pm, wrote:
On Sep 15, 11:13*am, Kevin Christner
wrote:

I have spent enough time instructing to see two types of students,
Schweizer trained and everyone else. *Place these two types in an
ASK-21. *Schweizer trained students often lack refined control
coordination and almost always have little ability to control pitch
and speed properly. *The other students seem to do much better. *The
Schweizer simply does not require the refined control of more modern
gliders to be flown in a way that seems coordinated. *Being trained in
a Schweizer typically means you will need to be totally retrained to
fly anything else, and the bad habits first learned will often creep
back.

Find me one world team member that thinks primary training in a
Schweizer is a good idea. *I doubt you'll have any glowing advocates.

KJC

You found one. I train in 2-33's every weekend I'm not racing. I completely disagree about skills as they relate to what glider is used. That is a function of good instructing much more than the platform.

Would I like it to be more comfortable in the back? You betcha!
All this said, our 2-33 fleet still provides economical, weather
tolerant, safe, durable service.
We added another to our fleet last year. We also bought a '21 for more
advanced training.
Keeping costs down may be why we have grown every year including the
downturn and have almost 30 juniors.
Not fancy , but it works.
All that said, building a 2-33 today would not be an economical thing
to do.
FWIW
UH

I should rephrase my premise from "a good idea" to "the best option"
which was the intent behind the statement. Costs aside, I don't think
you'd choose the 2-33 over the K-21 for any purpose, but I could be
missing something.

In regards to equipment vs. instruction I stated previously
"Ultimately this is not an argument about 2-33's vs. K-21s, but rather
an argument about the pitiful state of glider training in the US."
Perhaps I've placed too much blame on the glider fleet and not enough
on the instructor base. I would have hoped this was not the case.