Old February 19th 19, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 3:14:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I know Sebastian Kawa and a few others never touch alcohol. Some racing pilots stay away around competitions. Others have a beer waiting on ice when they land.

Is it just a high performance athlete focusing thing - or is there more to it. I did a search and couldn't fined any discussions.

WH

I don't recall seeing any data that shows that alcohol consumption improves performance.
I have seen some examples of the opposite.
I know I sleep better when I don't drink.
Others may have different experiences.
UH

I have a very good friend that I flew with a long time ago, he was one of those Naval Aviator types, but did not wear it on his sleeve. His ride was an AD Skyraider, and the ole boy could fly. I asked him once what he did after his 12 hour missions flying in 1968 in a pretty nasty place. His reply way always the same, we went to the bar and had a few drinks to get ready for the next day.