Old November 27th 05, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flight plan equipment suffix

It doesn't cost anything to file it that way, but for VFR it is meaningless.
It just tells ATC that you have a really good backup for situational
awareness. You cannot be issued clearance for an instrument approach if you
are VFR.

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:52:02 GMT, kontiki
wrote:

abripl wrote:
I plan not to update the card full time and use GPS for VFR only - I am
not wealthy nor IFR rated. What would be the appropriate equipment
suffix?

It costs $$$$ just to be able to file /G... I's like to but I can't

justify
it. I just don;t fly into that many places in bad weather where there

isn't
am ILS. Just file /U

Why would it cost anything to file /G on a VFR flight plan filed with
FSS for purposes of S&R? There is no requirement for the GPS to be
current for VFR flight. If it's working, /G should be perfectly
appropriate in a VFR-only environment.