Old December 13th 04, 01:22 AM
Lyle

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:01:18 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:14:21 -0800, hoarse with no name
wrote:

In article .com,
"Merlin" wrote:

Big Carriers are very vulnerable to the 'Super-Torpedoes' that are
being developed.

Why would a super-torp be more effective against carriers than against
other surface vessels? It wouldn't. Yet long carriers are more effective
in the sub-killing role than harrier carriers. Long carriers are most
likely the most effective surface vessel in sub-killing because the
planes it launches cover so much area so quickly.

This would be true if large deck carriers had fixed wing ASW assets.
But they don't (or soon won't).

The first time a Big Grey Boat gets "tagged" by a sub there will some
very interesting discussions in the Halls of Power.

Then there will probably be developed a ASW Version of the Osprey, if
you ask me the Osprey is the most logical assest we have to replace
the C-2 Greyhound, E-2 Hawkeye, and S-3 Vikeing, and Tanker aircraft
with a common platform.
JMO

Bill Kambic

Veteran: VS-27, VS-30, VS-73/VP-93