Old May 31st 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Starduster Too, first flight, busted prop

"Al" wrote in message ...
Well, a friend finally got his starduster too in the air. He finished it this last winter, and has been preparing
for his first flight, The flight went well, apparently normal until shutdown. There was about 6 " of prop missing from
each end, and what was left was shattered back another 6-8". His landing was in full stall attitude and no pieces were
found on the runway, no one heard anything, so we've pretty much ruled out a ground strike. The videos show a
perfectly normal flight although in one of the low passes, one of the observers heard a whistling sound. I've got
pictures heading this way, and should have them posted by tomorrow. The pilot was as surprized as the rest of us by
the lack of vibration, and evidently what was left of the prop continued to produce thrust.
This is a Starduster Too, with a continental 200hp radial, and a Sensenich wooden prop(72" I think). While I don't
think the prop was new, it was in perfect shape, and the aircraft/engine/prop were inspected by a number of very
qualified folks, and no one saw anything amiss, until after the flight. The aircraft was thoroughly checked for
ground clearance before flight, and from the test I think the attitude required to strike the prop(even with
compressed gear), would scare any still living pilot.
Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Al

Nope, sounds very lucky!