Old September 1st 03, 03:23 AM
Dale

In article ,
wrote:

I can understand why you don't need the turbos for altitude performance, so
it makes
no sense to maintain them unnecessarily. But, why are the turbos in the
B-24 still
used? AIUI, the Cyclones have a mechanical supercharger for the first
stage, which
shpould give you the boost you need for take-off, with the turbo just
maintaining
boost for altitude; do the Twin Wasps have a different setup that would
preclude
doing without the turbos, or is it just too much hassle to remove given the
installation?

The 1830s also have a supercharger. In the -17 a short section of ducting was
removed which bypassed the turbo and allowed plenty of air to the engine. With
the -24 it would be a lot more hassle to do without the turbos. And frankly,
unless I could get as much power without the turbo has can be pulled with the
turbo I'd want the turbo to function. With an engine out she can be a real dog.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html