Old July 11th 05, 02:40 PM
Mike

Default Adverse Yaw

In the July issue of Soaring a letter writer contends that, during a
steep stationary turn, the outside wing creates less drag than the
inside and adverse yaw is caused by: 1)The inside wing flying at a
greater angle of attack than the outside wing, therefore creating more
drag on the inside wing (refers to lift vector diagrams) and 2)Down
aileron on the inside wing needed to create equal lift with the outside
wing while flying at a lower speed. He concludes, "Of course, the
incresed drag of the lower wing, caused by both 1) and 2) above, is the
source of adverse yaw." With all this drag on the inside wing why
wouldn't the glider yaw to the inside of the turn instead of the
outside? This is counter to everything I've learned. What am I (or is
he) missing here?

Mike Fadden