Old April 1st 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pegasus life limit

Why doesn't somebody cook up an inspection plan, run it by the FSDO for an
STC?
Make a list of inspection items and extend life 500 hours or 1 callendar
year.
If I owned one of these. I'd look at this as an option........

--
Have a great day

Scott
"Michael McNulty" wrote in message

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"01-- Zero One" wrote:

No, I'm not saying it can't be done legally. I was
commenting on the conversion process from a standard type
cert to experimental. As far as I can tell, that's
extremely difficult to near impossible. (I'd be interested
in hearing from anyone who's done it.) However, there are
other routes to modifications of a standard certified
aircraft. If the proposed change is a major modification
under Part 43, you'll need a 337 approval or a Supplemental
Type Certificate from the FAA. If not, then it's easy.
--
T o d d P a t t i s t - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

I once owned an SGS 1-23 that had had the wing extended. The tip
extensions were removable. Due to this mod the aircraft was converted
from "Standard" to "Experimental, Exhibition and Racing". The most
interesting thing about this airworthiness certificate was that it
specifically stated that the aircraft reverted to "Standard" when the tips
were removed. To my knowledge this "dual certification" was a unique
case. This was done quite a while ago, and by someone (Paul Bickle) with
impeccable credentials and very good FAA contacts.

Modern era "Experiment" operating limitations are supposed to have an item
stating that: "The cognizant FAA FSDO must be notified, and their
response received in writing, prior to flying this aircraft after
incorporation of a major change as defined by Part 21.93". This
requirement is the substitute for the 337. (I personally would seek their
advice and okay before performing the mod to avoid unpleasant, and
expensive, surprises.)