Old August 19th 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Using XCOM and Flight Line radios in certificated gliders

"Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

A customer has asked me whether or not it is legal to install and use
a non-FAA-approved radio such as the XCOM 760 or FlightLine FL-760 in
a type certificated glider. XCOM's statement on the subject is copied
below. Some aircraft mechanics and avionics shops seem OK with
installing those radios and other flat refuse to. I don't have
anything similar from FlightLine.

Below is an excerpt from a note received from XCOM on this subject.

"Our aircraft radio is not TSO'd but it does have the necessary FAA
and FCC approvals for fitting into certified aircraft. In fact there
are hundreds in the USA fitted to aircraft in either the standard or
the primary category." He copied me on the FAA and FCC certificates -
which are on my web site he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/xcom.htm.

The customer has an A&P that is very hesitant to approve the use of
those radios - unless someone can show paperwork showing that they
were received approval to do so - such as a 337 that was submitted and
approved.

I should know more about this, but I have received so many differing
opinions, that I don't know what to believe.

I imagine I'll get a million different opinions on this subject, and I
welcome them. But opinions are not what the customer needs. He needs
specific examples and paperwork - if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

The obvious answer is to find a non-pain in the ass A&P. If they are
having this problem what else is going to be an issue with this guy?

We have enough problems in the field with poor radio installs. Lets
focus on what ought to be focused on. Often battery problems, speaker
and microphone and antenna issues. Those issues are not caused by lack
of TSO paperwork on the radio. I wonder if he realizes the radio is
likely to connect to a non-TSO antenna, mic and battery.

Darryl