Old April 5th 19, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one andwhy?

On 4/5/2019 10:37 AM, Jonathon May wrote:
Snip...

You do pay a premium for Flaps,it may be better to go for a std 15M ship
LS4 would be good or a asw19.

The 'premium' bit is true 'in general' but - going deeper into the weeds, here
- arguably not universally so in the 1st-generation-glass world. Even amongst
those glass ships with the FX67K-150/170 'one-trick-pony' airfoil, those
relying *exclusively* on their flaps as large-deflection landing-drag devices,
tend to be 'somewhat discounted' in the pricing market from - so it seems to
me - flapped *and* spoilered ships (e.g. LS-3X, DG-20X, AS W-20 and (even)
Mini-Nimbus/Mosquito.

Think PIK-20A/B (no gelcoat!), Zuni and - while not glass - SGS 1-35 and Nugget.

With the bulk of my time in an early-model Zuni, I never felt 'significantly
handicapped' by the ship's (in?)ability to 'competitively go XC' against newer
15-meter ships - wet (internally *or* externally [dry chuckle]) or dry.

That airfoil is also a pussycat, IMO.

YMMV

Bob W.

---