Old June 18th 05, 05:10 PM
Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:46:46 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:

Orval --

A quick question from somebody who farms that part of the job out when it
has to be done...since the end doesn't take any of the tension of the cable,
what would be wrong with torching it and then nicropressing it outside of
the torched area?

Note: I'm not doing this for use in an aircraft! It is simply to extend
a clothes line. It's probably best to not fray the end too much.

Do repair shops at FBOs typically have something to cut cable with? I
can just drive it over to the one I used to fly out of.

Out of interest, what is a "nico press"? I don't have one in my garage
but buying new toys is always fun. I'll try a MAP torch and chisel.

The biggest cable/bolt cutter you are likely to see is the 24 inch
Chinese model that usually costs about $25.

A smaller version of this bolt cutter at $15 or less, can have its
cutter jaws ground to a circular profile. This makes a handy dandy
nicopress for aluminum or copper sleeves which are clenched together
on a wire loop to make high strength end fittings.

If poeple want to use a sledge and cold-chisel, that's fine with me.

People who want to use the "two bars squeezed with bolts" style of
nicopress are welcome to it.
Yacht chandlers will use a hydraulic press for swageing end fittings.
Nice work, if you can get it!

Word to the wise: always proof test cable terminal fittings to at
least 90% of the design load - you'll never regret it.

Brian Whatcott