Old October 8th 04, 04:21 AM
John T

"Bob Fry" wrote in message

Sure. While we're at it, can we *puhleeeze* have a rational energy
policy that includes conservation, like raising CAFE standards?

I'm all for a rational energy policy, but how does imposing MPG standards on
manufacturers achieve those goals? Why not let the market decide? As shown
by the waiting list for the latest generation of hybrid cars, there is pent
up demand for high mileage cars and the major manufacturers are responding
to that demand.

As a rule, the less government intervention, the better.

How
about encouraging solar energy panels for homes, especially in the
Southwest (Calif-Nevada-Ariz-NM-Texas-Col) via tax incentives?

How about just a flat Federal income tax? I local jurisdictions want to
provide tax breaks, more power to them.

How
about dropping bogus political distractions like hydrogen for cars,
which is simply another *form* of energy, *not* new energy?

Um...what "new energy", for example?

FWIW, I like the excitement about hydrogen. It may turn out to be
completely infeasible, but at least it's getting people to think beyond the
status quo.

This country developed the atom bomb and sent men to the moon when it
wanted to...if we elect politicians with real honesty and courage, we
can *easily* do it again and become energy independent of the
middle-east.

Agreed.

--
John T