Old January 14th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J a c k[_2_]

Default Troubling story and some questions

JJ Sinclair wrote:
I'm sick of sanding this DG and it's still several hours before the
Packers start beating up on the Sea Gulls, so let me tell you a little
story about busting the PC. We were on an low level VFR route in the
RF-4C, early in out training that offered an all expence paid vacation
to Cong's Ville upon graduation. We hit a couple of targets out in the
desert and then the route took us into the mountains north of Mt.
Home, ID where we encountered a solid deck about 2000 above us. We
pressed on and soon were rapidly painting ourselves into a corner (box
canyon). I told my pilot; let's forget this and get out of here! He
replied; I don't have clearance to enter the clouds. Allow me to state
here that the 1/lt Nose-Gunner, the Air Force issued me was long on
regulations and short on judgment! Soon we were in real trouble, 100
feet off the pine-cones and 100 feet below the
clouds....

Another fine ATC product, not in TAC nearly long enough to absorb the
culture.

Why in the world would anyone put a 1/Lt in an RF? I thought that was
Senior Captain and Field-Grade work.

Jack