Old April 27th 05, 09:38 PM
a425couple

"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote in message
"a425couple" wrote
I have a old question, maybe someone can refute, or verify?
I tend to mistrust 'sea-stories' w.o. cites.
Making the rounds circa 1972 was that a F4 with folding wings
(story was MC, possib. Navy) taxied out (story was at Kadena)
got clearance to take off, hit afterburners and got enough thrust
to take off. Sheesh - wingtips were still folded up. Could only
stay in air with afterburner thrust, had to eject, dumped $4 mil.
plane in East China Sea.
True or not? Ever true anywhere or anytime to anyone??
I have seen (recently sited on s.m.n.) what appears to be a
picture of a plane (A-7?) flying with tips folded, so ???

That story is at least as old as the WW II F4U Corsair. WDA

Thank you Mr. Allen,
Yes, I will accept that it is an old story, and that it sounds to
"good" or "bad" to be true. But sometimes they are, so I asked.

A good poster over on s.m.n. gave me this link, "
http://www.vmf235.com/f8_wingsfolded.jpg not F-4 but if I read the
photo credit right is Marine. You have to careful with Google refs ---"
Anyone know if this photo is real, and what outcome was?

And on the other response, yes, I also thought some maneuver
could be done in flight to help wing lower (balistic or stall) but
was answered that hydralics could not overcome aerodynamics.
Hey, he was Airdale, I was grunt, I enjoyed drink and talk.
Questioned him no further on that, 30 years later, I am courious.