Old August 7th 03, 07:13 AM
Bill Shatzer

On 6 Aug 2003, ArtKramr wrote:

-snips-

It depends on theangle of incidence. If the angle is too steep on a soft
surface there wil be little ricochet. But if the angle is shallow there will
be a lot more. Think of skipping stones across a lake.

The rocks I selected for stone skipping on lakes were shaped rather
differently than .50 cal MG rounds. And, were imparted a rather different
rotation.

I never tried to skip an elongated rock with a rotation at right
angles to, rather than parallel to, the water surface but I can't believe
that would work at all well.

Certainly not sufficiently well to penetrate tank armor, even the
relatively thin undersurface armor.

But, you could probably scare the hell out of the folks inside.

Cheers and all,