Old December 24th 03, 11:33 PM
Steve Hopkins

Suggest you read Derek Piggott's book. Not only is it an invaluable
source of knowledge, one of the appendices lists most gliders, their
strengths, weaknesses and general characteristics. For example, of the
Slingsby Sport Vega he notes that it has a large cockpit, good handling,
trailing edge airbrakes and fixed u/c. Of each of the different types,
most of which he has actually flown himself, he gives his impression of
whether it is suitable for beginners, prone to breaking, good or bad on
a winch launch etc. Difficult to praise too highly.

You didn't mention how much experience you have. If you are newly solo,
you might want to avoid extra complications such as flaps and
retractable u/c. From a purely personal point of view, and I acknowledge
that many might disagree, I would confine my search to gliders which are
auto connect. They are so much safer , (and easier), to rig. There are
too many horror stories of hotelier connection coming undone, or not
being secured properly in the first place. Another factor to consider
is your own physical strength. Some gliders require large numbers of
"friends" and excellent muscle tone to put together.

You might consider a Sport Vega. It is light and easy to rig; has good
handling and, with trailing edge airbrakes, can be landed on the
proverbial postage stamp. The Astir is heavier, has conventional
airbrakes but is connected with the dreaded hoteliers. Also, it has a
cast aluminium "A" frame which is liable to cracking making heavy
landings very expensive. The Cirrus handles well, but not only do you
have the dreaded hoteliers to contend with, some of them have to be
connected by feel - you can't see them properly to check that the thing
is properly connected.

In the end you will have to make up your own mind from all the advice
you receive. Just be aware of the various issues, decide which are
important to you and then take an "expert" with you to check your
purchase before you part with any money.

Good luck and have fun.

Happy Christmas

Steve

Author: Ted Wagner
Date/Time: 17:00 24 December 2003
I'm a new glider pilot, having just switched my FAI air sport of choice
after 23 years of leaping out of airplanes.

By this summer it is almost certain I'll be purchasing my own glider.
I'm interested in having fun, cross-country (eventually competing), and
having fun, in that order.

I've read about a dozen back issues of the Soaring magazines laying
about my local club, but I have yet to come across a layman's buyer's
guide (or any, for that matter). I've done some 'Net surfing as well,
with no luck. And I'm surprised by the variety of manufacturers and
models. I've gleaned enough to suspect that my final choice will be
something along the lines of a PW-5, L-33 solo, or AC-4. But what about
the 304-CZ? And why are there no American glider manufacturers to speak
of? (I know, too many trial lawyers with too much free time.)

If anyone has recently been through this process of finding out what all
the options are in a nicely distilled format, or where I might find some
good Internet resource on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Ted in Tempe