Old March 14th 21, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Douglas Richardson

Default The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 4:49:52 PM UTC, AS wrote:
I couldn't agree more! We had a case like this a while ago when a 'helicopter-mom' dropped her son off in the morning because he had an intro-flight that day. She asked me when she could pick him back up again. I told her it would be best if her son calls her in the evening after the equipment has been washed, cleaned, the pajamas put on and then pushed back into the hangar. With a somewhat puzzled look on face, she said 'What?? - my son has to work here? What am I paying the dues for?' In her mind, taking a soaring lesson was akin to booking an hour with the tennis- or golf pro or dropping him off for his Karate lesson. Needless to say that we never saw her or the kid again. It is that culture passed down by parents to their children which is part of the problem! We now spell it out very clearly to any prospect new member what is expected of them if they want to join the club.

Uli
'AS'

We have two options:

1. Moan and bitch about how people don't want to spend their day sat on an airfield, in the hope that society returns to the state it was in during the 1960's.

2. Recognise that the world has moved on and change the way we 'do' our sport in order to stay relevant.

One of those options will lead to further decline while the other will potentially lead to its resurgence.